It’s been a long time since I did any cooking, but since I finished work an hour early on Friday, I thought I might as well try out one of my food pins from Pinterest.
The original recipe that I found on Pinterest had egg noodles, but we had none in the house so I used rice instead. I forgot to take pictures though, so the picture is from the original website. The recipe also stated that the sauce should turn into a glaze. I think I used a larger orange than the original recipe so I had a lot more liquid. If this happens to you, mix some cornstarch with hot water and add to the pan at the end of step 4. Cook for 5 more minutes or until the sauce thickens.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 Medium gammon steaks (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red chillies (deseeded and finely sliced)
- 1 Medium orange (zest and juice)
- 1 tablespoon clear (runny) honey
- 100ml chicken stock (I used an oxo cube made up with 100ml water)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 Medium red pepper (sliced)
- 2 Medium onions (diced)
- 300g long grain rice
- Add oil to a large frying pan and heat.
- Fry onions and peppers until soft.
- Sprinkle five spice powder over gammon and add gammon to pan with onions and peppers. Fry for around 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, honey, chillies, orange zest and juice and stock and simmer for 4-5 minutes until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve with the rice cooked according to packet instructions.